• Hi everyone. Happy new year! Welcome to Captionz Trove, a space dedicated to new & educational YouTube videos. Why? Because it's fun.

But first, have you read this topic: Welcome to pnlpal? This is the one that introduce to you the reason why I built this site, the intention of making it and the rules of posting. I suggest you read it first.

What is Captionz?

It’s a website, part of our pnlpal community that let you watch YouTube videos with dual captions, A-B repeat and more. just open Captionz to use it. No need to use a browser extension, or an app. It’s simple and straight-forward, right?

I actually launched it at LanguageLearning subreddit first, it's fairly good.
    screenshot of reddit

Later, I put it on InternetIsBeautiful, it soared.
    screenshot of reddit

But then comes the down turn. People loved it and forget it.
    screenshot

Anyway, I put the detail story here:
    Captionz: learn on YouTube with fun.

Since you are here reading this post, you actually like it. I appreciate that.

Let's continue.

What's Captionz Trove?

Well, it's just a category on pnlpal. After published Captionz, I built this to help us share and discover educational videos on YouTube. It's bit of hard to dig resources on YouTube these days. YouTube is more and more entertaining rather than educational I think. So by creating this place, I hope it could help you reduce some noise, and discover educational videos more easily, and learn languages more efficient.

The core function of this trove is that first, it has a Reddit like ranking algorithm to sort the topics. So it relies on real human upvotes and suggestions. What is the reddit ranking algorithm like? There is a good article writing about this:

How Reddit ranking algorithms work.
    (Though I have to confess that I am still working on it. It needs a lot of posts to see the real effect. There are not many posts now anyway. But you should see it soon.)

Second, a Twitter like UI, so it looks clean. I love twitter so much that you can see me there every day. Let's connected there, shall we?

It's meaningful, isn't it? I watched most of the videos in the trove. Hell, I think I am addicted to YouTube. When I find a video that is interesting and thoughtful, I share it. I have really learned a lot from these videos. For example:

That's why I built this place. I urge you to do the same with me. Share the video that you watched and learned. So you are not just helping me, but also helping every language learners out here, and even the youtubers! You are spreading works and ideas worth spreading.

How?

Simple, click the New Topic button. Put the title and url of the video in, and write a few words for introduction.

screenshot

Don't forget to use or create a few tags. They are meaningful to classify these posts.

Again, before you post, a few simple rules you should know.

Rules

1. General rules I mentioned here, you know no bullshit, no propaganda, looking for original etc.
    2. New & educational videos only. I don't want this space full of entertainment. Though you might think that entertainment is also educational, you can learn languages from videos like games or sports. But that's just another YouTube.com. But I do think talk shows or something like learning English from Friends are proper here. Debates are welcome.
    3. If it's too old, it's old-fashioned. I don't like it. But there are just some things that never grow old and never die. You'll hate that you didn't find them earlier, and they might have changed your life.
    4. It's important to have at least one caption. Auto-generated caption is not recommended. You know why.

More videos and channels

Please, help me grow this space, add more videos, discover more channels.
    I bet you love YouTube, and you have subscribed a lot of channels, right? Or better, you have created your own channel? Leave a comment below, tell me your favorite educational channels. I'll consider to put it in the sidebar of this site. Yours is better.

This is the way.

• Sharing

Share what you have learned with pals!

• Questions

Ask questions about programming or languages, may pals help you.

• Feedback

Find a bug? Have suggestions? Don't hesitate to tell me.

Dictionariez is an open-source tool that assists you in language learning; it supports multiple languages and offers a diverse collection of dictionaries.